Tuesday, February 11, 2014

King David, Shakespeare, and John Branyan

This morning I was reading Psalms 30:8-9 which reads:
    "I cried to You, O Lord, and to the Lord I made supplication. What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit (the grave)? Will the dust praise You? Will it declare Your truth and faithfulness to men?"
   Why is this significant? Because it is bold! And bold is not something that is found in religion. Let me define what I mean by religion. The kind of religion I am talking about is legalistic. It lacks the love and leniency that we experience as Christians. It is also what people think of when they think of the Jewish laws in the Old Testament.
   David was a man who looked beyond the rules to the relationship. But he knew that his God was all powerful and could take away all that he had in an instant. Yes, he fell and sometimes quite hard. Gosh sakes, he had a man killed after he was with the man's wife and then married the woman. But he repented, and when, as a result of his sin, their son died, he rose, washed himself, and worshipped God in the temple! (2 Samuel 12:18-20) Truly David was an incredible man.
   David was a man of bold faith. He was a man who didn't strive to please men, but God. Did that mean he was unconventional in his beliefs and worship? Probably. I do know that he didn't worship conventionally. (2 Samuel 6:14-23) But God was pleased by it.
   David spoke to God on a one to one bases. In this passage, David was reasoning with God. "If you let me die, who will praise you and declare your truth? The dirt?" David knew God's character, so he was bold in prayer.
   I think we can learn a lot from David. But what I want you to come away with is that our faith needs to be bold. You wouldn't ask your parents for five dollars and then not expect them to respond. Would you? It's the same way with God. He has immeasurable wealth and our requests are the equivalent of that five dollars.
  


   But what does that have to do with Shakespeare and John Branyan?
   Well, David liked to write psalms which were kind of like poetry. Which leads to Shakespeare, which leads to John Branyan, which leads to The Three Little Pigs, . Enjoy this video. It cracks me up. I love it!!
  
   God Bless you guys!
   Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...