Monday, November 11, 2013

Jean Skirt Tutorial.... Finally!

  A really long time ago, I said I was going to write a tutorial of my Jean Skirt pattern and then didn't do anything with the idea. I got some new jeans a long time ago and had some old ones that were about ready for the dumpster. So, I pulled them out and started cutting.

What you will need:
2 pairs of jeans. One for the body of your skirt and one for the panels.
Pair of scissors.
Thread that matches the color of the pair of jeans you are using for the body.
Sewing machine.
A strong enough needle to go through the jean material. (Most needles meet this specification.)
Large table or ironing board.

Step #1:
Cut along the inside seam of the first pair of jeans.









 Step#2:
Second pair of jeans.
Be sure that the fabric isn't wrinkled or it will be uneven after you cut it.











Cut along the inside seam of the legs.
When you're done, you should have two pieces that, spread out, look like this.





Step#3:
Pin the back of the first pair of jeans to one of the panels you just cut.
 Here's a close up of the crotch area. Keep trying it will get flat eventually.
( Be sure to fold in the edges of the legs so that they don't fray visibly. I only fold it once, but it doesn't matter as long as the end product is flat.)
                                                                                                                  

















Step#4:
Repeat all of Step# 3 on the front of the skirt, except don't fold in the edge (unless you want to).
Pin along the original seam.
Step#5:Now, sew! Stay right outside of the seam in the front and about  a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch from the edge in the back. When you get to the crotch, sew slowly, and just trust your pinning skills. If you have to, take it out, and try again. 
 Step#6:
   You now have a handmade skirt! Congratulations! 
   If you want to, you can add flowers or paisleys; whatever you like! 
             
                                                            I left mine plain this time.
                                                                           ~ smile ~

For a knee length skirt:
Cut off jeans evenly at the knee.
Follow step 1# on jeans and cut off pieces. 
Take one panel and cut it in half. Cut off the hem. This will be your front and back panels. You should have one pant leg left over. 
Follow steps #3 and #4 and #5. 
Now hem the bottom. Fold it in twice for a tight hold. Sew.

Have a great time sewing! God Bless!
Emily






13 comments:

  1. You make this look so easy! That's a nice skirt and an easy-to-follow tutorial. I think my daughters and I will try this soon. I'm visiting you from the Moms-the-Word link party and am following you now.

    Blessings in HIM, Gin

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful tutorial. You make it look quite easy, and it turned out lovely.

    I found you at Inspire Me Monday. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made 2 similar to this in the past. I recently tried making another and it just wasn't working. I'm going to try again. Thanks for posting the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Thank you for the instructions. :) I love denim skirts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really neat. I want to try something like this too.

    Visiting from Taming Repunzel.

    Iris♥
    Feminine Modesty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for looking at my blog, Iris. I hope your skirt turns out really well. If it doesn't, just keep trying. It took me awhile to get it down. God bless you!
    Emily
    Teen for the Lord

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi rventrello,

    I sew agree. ~smile~ I love denim skirts, too and a always on the lookout for a cute one.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Smelly Lady,
    (giggles)

    Just keep trying. You can't give up! Don't lie on the ground! Get up and fight! ~smile~ (see my last post)
    You can do it.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dayle,

    Thank you so much. I appreciate your comment. It is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. This was my fourth skirt, so it looked pretty good.

    Thanks again,

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gin,
    You definitely should try it out. Thanks for following me.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  11. CUTE! such a great tutorial. I have a daughter who's going to love this. thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much! I'll be sure to visit your blog, Miss Joyce.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great tutorial. I can't wait to try it.

    From ,
    Morgan @ forgivenformerfeminist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...